Wednesday, March 30, 2011

T-shirt redo

I had this plain t-shirt and wanted something new. I gathered a few old shirts that don't fit to use them for something useful... I came up with this...






I cut up 3 different shirts into different sized circles then started pinning where I wanted them.







I came up with this and was ready to sew.







I used the zig-zag setting on my sewing machine to attach the circles to the shirt. I wanted it to kind of look messy and random and I achieved it by adding x's to a few of the circles. I also used my back step button to sew over it about 3 times on each circle. You can see that I added a bit of elastic on the sleeves to gather it around the top then added trim around the sleeves to add a little something( But it would also be cute plain..)







I tried the shirt on and realized why I never wore it... It's a bit low and I need a tank top under. Tank tops are annoying to me and get too hot so I decided to cut the front of one of the shirts I cut up to attach it to the actual shirt so it "appeared" as though I were wearing an undershirt... It made it more comfortable.











I then pinned and sewed the "undershirt" onto the shirt. I wanted to hide the stitching so I added the same trim that I had put on my sleeves around the neckline. I like the way it looks with the trim better....







Here in this picture you can see the gathered sleeves...




So an old shirt turned new and exciting. Now I have the rest of those cut up shirts for another project (you always want to save scraps! You never know when they will come in handy!!!)




Instead of donating old clothes why not try to spruce them up for a cheap new outfit?




Happy crafting!

5 comments:

Ron and Maggie said...

loveit! something I can do for myself!

Sara Ann said...

Hey! That is awesome, I must try:)

Juwey said...

SO VERY CUTE!!!

kati said...

so creative Lindsay! Can't wait to have someone to craft with when we get there.:)

Pinouchipop said...

The only thing I would like to know is what it looks like once it has been washed. I made something like that on a nightgown and the little «flowers» became all crumpled, but not in a pretty way. It's just a nightie, I know, but it was frustrating anyway...